Search This Blog

Monday 5 September 2011

Introduction to Linux - How to boot up and use your distro

Hi everyone! Today will be the 3rd part of the Linux tutorial. This tutorial are for those who have already downloaded and installed their distro's iso file to their thumbdrive. So, let's get started....

1)If your computer is on, turn it off.

2) While the com is off, stick your pendrive/ thumbdrive/USB key (Whatever you call your USB pendrive) into the USB port on your com.

3) Boot it up...and get your hands ready on the keyboard.

4) Just before Windows (or whatever your OS is) boots up, you should see for a few seconds a screen with some keyboard shortcuts which also say something like "BIOS setup", "Setup", "Boot device", something like that. Press the keyboard shortcut that will bring you into the setup menu. Then, enter the BIOS or boot menu. In it you should see the name of your USB device. Put it as your top priority boot device, followed by your hard drive. Finally, save changes and exit.

5) If you have done this correctly, the com should reboot and you will end up at the Linux distro's menu, where you can select whether to boot from the hard drive or your thumbdrive. If I'm not wrong, it is usually the first option.

6) Navigate to the option you want to choose and press enter. For those who want to try out Linux Mint 11 'Katya', it IS the first option. For those not trying out Mint, I don't use them, so I won't help you. OK, OK, I'm just lazy. Shoot me.

7) As to how to use the OS, I guess that anyone with a couple of brain cells can figure it out. If you're talking about the advanced options, I won't blame you, just comment and I'll help you, but if you're gonna ask me where the start button is, then.....yeah.

2 comments:

  1. What about you change the name of this guide to: installing linux mint? Then you can tell people the linux mint download instructions too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @wei en good idea, but in this case it is about booting up via live usb. Please help me write about how to install to hard drive, cos I've never done it before.

    ReplyDelete